Hello my lovelies,
Lately I've been getting quite a few compliments on my skin and was asked questions on my skin care routine. So, I decided I would blog about what I did (I promise a video too, once I get rid of my nasal voice). A little history about my skin before I ramble on about my routine: I never had perfect skin. I had acne for 8 or 9 years, those who know me personally would know how much I went through. Right now, my skin ISN'T PERFECT as I would like it to be but it is in the best state it has ever been in 9 years.
- Using the Eucerin's Gentle Cleansing Milk to cleanse the face in the morning. A simple and gentle cleanser, leaving the skin feeling soft, clean and moisturized. You can also use it when removing make up, it works beautifully.
- Moisturizing with either the Eucerin's Hydrating care or the Eucerin's Cream-Gel (I alternate). The Hydrating Care has a very smooth texture, leaving your skin as if you didn't put anything on, which is what I prefer because I don't like the feeling of a greasy face in the morning. The Cream-Gel is more of a moisturizer / pimple gel, little more moisturizing but a little greasy at times. So I use this usually when my skin is really dry in the morning or if it's a really cold day (more so during the winter).
|Hydrating Care, Cream-Gel and Gentle Cleansing Milk|
Super short morning routine. No make up on and I hardly put on sunscreen, which I know I should but I start using it when spring comes.
- I alternate between two cleansers, the Eucerin's Dermo Purifyer Cleanser or Oats. The liquid cleanser deeply cleanses the face without stripping the oil off the face which doesn't leave the face squeaky and shiny. I have been using the Eucerin's Dermo Purifyer line for years, and I must say, this was the very first product that really helped me controlled my acne.
OATS: I know some of you are just reading this and just giving weird faces. But Oats has definitely changed my skin care routine. I started using this a year ago after I watched Saaamage's Skin Care Routine and also Bubz Beauty. I use this almost every night, more than my liquid cleanser because it honestly has changed my skin for the better. Oats reduces redness, dryness and minor irritations. It cleanses your face, moisturizes it and also performs as a really gentle exfoliant. Another plus point, if you want to be fairer, oats apparently helps you lighten your skin.
So ever since I've been using oats, my skin is fairer, complexion has definitely improved and it is surprisingly very refreshing to wash your face with oats. My face feels soft, moisturized, hardly any redness and it's not as dry and flaky as it used to be. The best part of using oats is it's natural and there's no harsh chemicals! Sometimes I even shower with oats. If I were to give a recommendation on which cleanser to use, I would say oats would be the best.
Just take a handful, run it under water, mash it until it becomes a paste and just apply it to your face like how you would cleanse your face and wash it off! Simple!
- Medication for acne! I use Topicil first, just dabbing onto the pimples and just let it dry. And then applying a thin layer of Differin 0.1% over the affected parts. You can't apply too much of Differin cause it's really harsh and it might make your skin peel and also, you can't use it during the day either cause it irritates your skin. Both products are pretty harsh because they both contain antibiotics for the skin and it's mainly for severe acne. I have been using Topicil for about 5 years, alternating between other medications as well and Differin for about 9 months now. Both seem to work very well for me.
Estee Lauder's Advanced Night Repair Synchronized Recovery Complex
- Applying a thin layer of Estee Lauder's Advanced Night Repair Synchronized Recovery Complex all over the face! You don't really need a lot of the product, just one or two drops would cover it. I purchased the 50ml just recently for a whopping RM330 (always ask for freebies!!!). Though it may be pricy, this product is the best thing that ever happened to my skin. It lightens the dark spots and helps the healing of the acne much quicker. I wake up in the morning feeling my skin super soft and supple and smooth! I would definitely recommend anybody to use this product!
Estee Lauder Hydrationist
- It's like a moisturizer, but I apply a very thin layer to my skin after the serum. I got it as a freebie, so I've been using it for about a month now.
Vaseline's Intensive Rescue Repairing Moisture Body Lotion
- My skin tends to get very dry at night because it's really cold during the winter and somehow my normal face moisturizers aren't doing any good for me. I would wake up with flaky skin in the morning and it just really annoys me. So I decided to switch it up to my normal body moisturizer. Here comes the stares and gasps. Not many of you would agree with me on this and I get it, but I needed a lotion that could help the healing of dry skin and this Vaseline Intensive Rescue body lotion just did the trick! I take a small pump, rub it on my palms and just dab it onto my face. My skin isn't dry in the morning anymore and it really helps during the night because the air is really dry.
|Differin 0.1% & Topicil|
I would use the Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash Exfoliator, just to thoroughly cleanse my face. It has microbeads in it, though still gentle, a really really nice grapefruit scent. I have been using this for over a year and a half, and I works wonderful for me.
EVERY FORTNIGHT OR 3 WEEKS:
Nose pore strips! Just to remove the blackheads. I have tried a couple of brands but so far this one Biore works the best for me. It really removes the blackheads and you can see the strip how disgusting your pores have been.
ONCE A MONTH:
So many raves on this product. FrmHeadToToe did a mini review of it. So once a month, I would just use this product to just remove all the dead skin and it's kind of cool yet disgusting to see all your dead skin being removed. LOL. I dont do this too often because I already exfoliate my skin once a week so I can't strip my skin too much or it'll easily get irritable.
DISCLAIMER: I am no skin specialist. I am just letting all my readers know what I did for my skin to get it into its current condition. And all the products I have mentioned above are products that I have tested over the years to know which works best for my skin. You know your skin best, so if you have a product which is working good for you, I suggest you continue using it.
There are other things I do as well besides a skin routine:
- I do my best to stay away from certain food. I don't completely stay away from them, once in awhile is fine, but if I can, I won't eat them. Seafood (especially prawns for me), spicy food, alcohol and deep-fried stuff.
- Drink a lot of water. A LOT.
- Sleep early for at least 8 hours. There's a reason why it's called beauty sleep!
- Don't wear too much make up. How ironic when I love make up. I don't wear it everyday, but if I do, I double cleanse. I would wash my make up off with make up remover and then use a cleanser to wash my face. It's very important to remove your make up before going to bed!
Well, basically that is it. This is what I've been doing for the past few years and it has finally, FINALLY paid off! It's not only the skin care routine that counts, it's also your daily routine and discipline. I'm pretty anal when it comes to my skin so I forced myself into this routine I've showed you and I'm very happy with the result. You know your skin best, so work out your own routine.